Sunday, February 15, 2009

Thai medicine

For whatever reason I've had a hard time sleeping even after being in Bangkok more than a month. And like in Germany and other countries, the Pharmacist here acts as a nurse practitioner. They can prescribe certain medications. After a Korean dinner at the Emporium I stopped by Boots - the local Pharmacy. I spoke with the Pharmacist saying "I'm having trouble sleeping. Do you have Ambien?" I take that at times back in the US. "No, that will require a Dr. permission. But I can give you Atarax, Take 1-2 tablets before you go to sleep." The accent scared me, I check the box to make sure it wasn't Anthrax. I took 2 tabs around 7PM with no expectations. These over the counter meds don't usually work for me. I laid down on the couch and watched a few English TV channels. Next thing I remember I woke up TV still on and it was 8:15 AM the next morning. That roughly 12 hrs of sleep. I didn't fully recover until around 3PM Sunday afternoon.

I did some research and this med requires a prescription in the US. The box contains 25 tabs. Cost was 99 THB. ~ $3.00.

So for ~$0.25 I had a good night's sleep with dreams even. And I know even 1/2 of one tab will be enough if I ever need it.

Amazing Thailand

2 comments: