Saturday, February 14, 2009

I found a Khaen- now how do I play it?

I have learned to appreciate classical Thai music. When listening to classical Thai music I hear a sound that reminds me of bagpipes. For those who don't know, there was a time in my life that I played the Great Highland Pipes and was a member of the St. Andrews Bagpipe Troup in Kansas City. I also marched with the Shriner's Bagpipe band on St. Paddy's Day, a Pint of Ale for each mile was how that went. I could go a 6-pack's worth then had to stop. After 6 beers I could no longer pucker up to play.





Back to the Khaen, I did some research and discovered the instrument that made the Bagpipe sound is called a Khaen (CAN in English, ie. tinCAN). It is a free-reed instrument unlike the Bagpipe which is double-reed. The Khaen is native to Laos and N.E. Thailand.

In the picture, the Khaen is on the right. The little wind instrument on the left is like a Pan-Flute in a circle. I don't know what it is called in Thai, but it was only 200 THB ( $5 so why not buy it?).

My Thai came in handy when I decided to purchase the Khaen.


"Lot dai thaorai" How much can you discount? That little bit of Thai got me 10% off. Total cost 1300 THB for this hand-made instrument. ~ $37.00. They sell for triple in the US because they are so rare. The only book in print (English) on how to play the instrument is listed at $95.00 on some WWW sites. But a package deal, Khaen, case and book is listed round $130.00.

Of course I've read up on this instrument and its history is claimed by some to go back to the bronze age in S.E. Asia. If I learn to play it or not, I will enjoy having it in my home on display.


The store didn't have a bag so I carried it in full view, on the MRT (Subway) praying no one would ask this Frang to play.

If you want to hear what it sounds like check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiRs2zAV1ds

The singer is called a Morlam. The word is a combination of two words which mean Music and Song or Singer. Together the word is associated to the singer as an expert. The style of singing has a structure all its own which I don't know enough about at the moment to explain in any detail, but from what I've read it is Thai/Isan/Laotian RAP Music.

Hand movements are an important part of Thai/Lao dance - as you see in this video

The Khaen was initially a woman's instrument. But over time it evolved to being played mostly by men. In this clip you'll hear a female Morlam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwXzPqWV4oM&feature=related

Another example of the Khane is in this video. A Fareng (foreigner) who is one of the best players. If you listen to this clip notice the similarity between Laotian rhythm and Irish/Scottish rhythm. Don't turn it off soon - he picks up the tempo. This is an example of a Khaen Solo. More often it is played in accompaniment to a Morlam and ensemble of other musicians.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN93UdxyRFo&feature=related


Note to family: where are my bagpipes? Where are y'alls ear plugs?

No comments:

Post a Comment