Friday, June 12, 2009

7-11 Stores in Bangkok

They are everywhere. I'm standing on Soi 24 almost to the intersection of Sukhumvit, looking south. Up the road a ways is my apartment. You see a 7-11 store to your immediate left. See the sign that says BOOK just a few feet up past the massage parlours? Guess what, there is another 7-11 store right there under the BOOK sign.









I went across the street by Emporium to take this photo hoping to get both 7-11's in the same shot. The 7-11 on the left doesn't have the sign turned on yet. The one on the right does.


Here is the entrance to the one on the right. I do to this one for two reasons. First, it is a few feet
closer to my apartment and when I'm carrying back a 6 Lt jug of fresh drinking water, every step counts. The other reason is that it is owned by a couple I figure is my age. I don't know if they are Japanese or Thai - they speak both and a bit of broken English. Remember I live in the "Little Japan" of Bangkok. To the left of the entrance is a travel agency and to the right is an outdoor resturant (street food) that is on the Soi going east. The 7-11 is not much wider than the door.

I asked if I could take their picture and the woman said no. I pressed, but she said it was "headquarters rule". Who was I to argue. I wanted to capture them for my own memory. They are very kind. They can't believe I stop by to pick up 6 Coke Lite (Diet Coke) every other day. Here they come loose - not in 6 packs or 24 packs. Only if they knew.
Also I wanted to show my readers just now small this store is and just how many employees you see in 7-11 uniforms waiting to help you. The store is as wide as you see in this picture. See the man on the left? That is the counter. So the store is a wide as that and maybe 120 feet deep. 10 steps and your at the back wall. Usually there are 3-4 people standing in 7-11 uniforms in one of the the two aisles, waiting to help you. Or they are re-stocking the small shelves which means there are boxes in the only two aisles in addition to the employees. I've learned to laugh at this nightmare. And heaven help you if there are customers at the counter. You can't get in. And all I want is 6 Diet Cokes.

On Friday nights I usually need to purchase my 6 Lt jug of drinking water. Cost? 37 THB. ~ $1.08. And they always ask me "No Coke tonight?" I can't carry that much at one time. I have to stage my purchases according to my physical abilities and my limitation to two arms.
Amazing Thailand

No comments:

Post a Comment