Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lunch in the country

After visiting Tha Jin we headed out to an associate's parents country home. It was in typical Thai style reminestent of the tradidional Thai home which is suspended above ground and open air.




Along the way to the house the group stopped and picked up food which was to suppliment what was already a full feast being prepared by the associates mother.





His father (man on the far left) met us and I remarked how much his father looked like him!






My friend told me chicken tastes better in Kanchanaburi Provence. I wasn't certain at first, but I noticed there were chickens everywhere, including in a basket sitting in the open air living area.







There was also a very nice 'private area' sitting over the pond. Seeing this reminded me of a couple of years back when the team took me north to the old capital and I saw this same style of structure built to get away from the home and sit, meditate, enjoy a meal over the cool water.





What I enjoyed the most was that behind the house was a plethora of fresh fruits. We ate fresh Papaya, Rambutan, Leeche and Mangosteen.





















The father set out to start up the grill.









Later he and his son moved to another grill. There was going to be a lot of food.
Some of the other associates took over the cooking. This particular dish was Gai Satay (Chicken Satay with peanut sauce).
What was really nice was when a basting brush was needed, all they did was tear off a few banana leaves, and tie to a chop-stick.




I was interested to see a traditional Thai Kitchen























Everyone ate, and ate again...rested a moment, then ate some more.








The mother kept cooking.










Finally, I asked if I could see the upstairs.













Pictured next to Rama V (former King), were the paternal Grandparents.










1 comment:

  1. wow Phil, the hospitality of the Thali people is great to be sure. The kitchen could almost be any american kitchen. I love the little bridge where you could ate and rest. It looked like such a restive place.

    ReplyDelete