Saturday, January 10, 2009

First day in Bangkok - January 9th

When I arrived at my apartment I immediately tested my iNet connection and long distance phone capability. Something was wrong with my AT&T calling card. So I had to get on the iNet, contact (Sametime) my administrative assistant back in KC to see if she could get my calling card working. That whole process took a couple of hours. So I didn't get much of anything done except a little unpacking. And what was I to expect to accomplish having been in route for over 25 hours?

I slept a little, waking up around noon. Got on the BTS (Sky Train) and headed out to Big-C Department store to purchase a fan (I like the white noise when I sleep) and Rice Cooker. I also needed some hangers. The rice cooker, fan and hangers cost me all of $18 (US Dollars).

Later I went to the grocery store and picked up all the staples I'll need for a few weeks. Rice, Soy Sauce, Chicken (2 lb) fresh veggies (Basil, Kwang Kuan, Green Onions, Thai Chilies, Snow Peas etc.) 12 pack of Diet Coke. Cost? $20.

I'm keeping a tight budget. I'm also keeping track so I can verify what I think all this would cost me in the US. Oyster Sauce for example, same brand, same size I purchase in KC, is 1/3 the cost here in Bangkok. Of course I can't live on Oyster Sauce alone, and it's not even Kosher, but the price was better than wholesale.

I'll add photos of the apartment in the next few posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment