Friday, January 16, 2009

Along my walk to the office

My apartment is located just a 10 minute walk from my office. 10 minutes once you can get past the major intersection. The post date for this is the 16, but actually I took the pics on Saturday when it was not so crowded.

My apartment is on Soi (small street) 24. This street intersects with Sukhumvit Road (pronounced: Sook hum vit) which is the main road in Bangkok. At the intersection of every Soi there is the ubiquitous "Motorcycle Taxi Stand" and food vendors.




These are pictures of what is called Sukhumvit 24


<---- Looking West
Looking East---->










Also at the intersection, I have an entrance to the BTS (Bangkok Transit System) - the Sky Train. There is also a Subway system (MRT) and buses. I don't bother taking the Sky train since my office is at the next stop going west. But I do have to climb the stairs to cross over the busy street. There are many of these 'Walkovers" as they are called. Most walkovers have a long stairway divided into 2 or 3 sections. This one has 15+16+16 steps. Doesn't seem like much but if I'm carrying my computer or groceries, it can be a pain.





This day I decided not to cross the street so I could get a better shot at the landmarks I pass each day. The one on the left is a park. This little piece of "green space" adds a lot of "coolness" to the area when the weather is hot.






And there is the Farang (Foreigner) grocery store - Villa Market.

This is where I buy most of my groceries and laundry supplies. It caters to Westerners. Prices are higher than at Thai stores, but it is on my way to work. Another store is located at the Emporium which is just across the street from my apartment. I've not been there but will go and compare prices. Beats having to walk up and down a "Fly Over" for a loaf of bread.







And finally, here is the main entrance to my office building.








BTW: I trust my readers know they can click the pictures for a full screen view.

No comments:

Post a Comment