Saturday, January 17, 2009

My Solo visit to the Klong Toei Market

First some background:

Klong Toei is one of the 50 districts in Bangkok.







It is home to a major port on the Chao Phraya River which is the largest river in Thailand. To compare, it would be like the Mississippi in the USA. The district has a MRT (Subway) station and a famous market. And of course a port on the Chao Phraya. Klong Toei is known for its poverty. It is also home to famous "Mercy Centre" which cares for orphans and those with AIDs. I have an "on-line" friend who is a cousin to it's founder Fr. Joe Maier. He is the "Father Theresa" of Bangkok (my term). I hope to visit Mercy Centre during this visit.

Here is a link: http://www.mercycentre.org/



I shouldn't have a problem to do so. My apartment is located at the boundary of Klong Toei and the Wattana District which is on the north side of Klong Toei.


The Klong Toei Market is known as a "Wet" because the pavement is wet - not just from water, but from everything that is being butchered for sale.











I walked to Asoke BTS station - which is located by our offices then took the MRT to Klong Toei station which was only 2 stops away. Total cost 8 THB or ($.23 cents).









The Subway in Bangkok (MRT) is exceptionally clean and on Saturday there were few people at all.











I walked only about 300 meters from the station before I reached the "food stalls" at the Klong Toei Market. Along the way I saw this Soi Dog (Street dog) enjoying the exceptionally cool weather. Normally if one saw a dog laying on the pavement in Bangkok in the sun, the dog would be sick. This one looked like he had been taken care of a little. Nice outfit





The food stalls at the Klong Toei Market are like any found on the streets in Bangkok. But the food may be fresher ?










Delicious food in mass quantities for all to see, purchase and enjoy.


Next to the food stations are the tables where customers can enjoy an outdoor meal right next to the kitchen. The Chef is always in view









And so is the dishwasher.













A walk across another Fly Over and I was in the Klong Toei "Wet" Market.




There are rows and rows of fresh vegetables.
















And fruits.




Some of which are difficult to find in Kansas City, especially "Dragon Fruit" shown on the right. Looks fancy, but inside it is quite plain.





After taking the picture of the strawberries I turned and a vendor, older man, started yelling at me and giving me a look that could kill. Everyone close by stopped what they were doing - and there was silence. I didn't know what I did wrong. This was the first time I felt uncomfortable in Bangkok. Klong Toei is not a place where tourist visit - although I did see a few. Perhaps the man was angry I was taking pictures and not buying. I thought about taking his picture, but had a second thought I may not be able to post here for a long time. I understand now that the Klong Toei Market may not be the best place for a Westerner to visit without a Thai friend.



I made my way quickly to another street in the Market. Poultry, Meats and Fish !





How fresh can a chicken dinner be? Killed plucked and cooked right before your eyes. The cages you see behind the table are full of live chickens!












Or if you want, take it home killed, plucked and raw.


















If Chicken is not your fare, how about fish, lots of it, all types; dead, alive and in between.













And if not Chicken or Fish, how about Meat? Of all kinds.
If this pic on the right were a painting, it would be called "Dangerous Girl with Cleaver"
























The red umbrellas that extended over the meat stalls only added to the sensation of "raw".



















And let me not forget to mention the traffic - yes traffic. In between small aisles, wet with blood and water, there were cars, motorcycles and would you believe very large trucks that passed by, causing one have to go into the stalls, sometimes even behind the counters just to get out of the way.





Amazing Thailand!




After walking to the end of one of the "fresh meat" aisles I turned the corner and found myself walking down another "Veggie" aisle. The negative experience I had was still in my mind. I was a bit nervous about being here. Then I saw this lady selling vegetables. She was dressed in the traditional "hat and scarf" I've see worn by so many vendors. I snapped a picture. I pulled my camera away from the shot and then saw a man in the next stall get the lady's attention. He said a few words and I thought I heard him say "Yim" (which means "smile" in Thai). I waited, and sure enough she did. I took a couple more pics then took a risk and said to her "Suay" (Beautiful) - she laughed and gave me this final pose.








This final experience helped balance the negative one I had earlier with the "grumpy old man". It tipped the scales in favor of the good times I've always enjoyed in Bangkok.


All in all I am glad I went to Klong Toei Market. It has been on my 'places to visit' for sometime. If I feel the need to visit again, I'll invite one of my Thai friends to join me.
















No comments:

Post a Comment