Tuesday, February 3, 2009

San Phra Phum


When is comes to religious expression, the Thai people are the most expressive I have ever seen. It is impressive and beautiful to observe.


Their religion is Buddhism. It also includes certain aspects of Hinduism and Animism.


It is a wonderful experience to see how they perform various acts of merit, and how everywhere you turn there is a San Phra Phum or "Spirit House". I do not quite understand all the meanings behind this, but I believe the thought is that there are spirits who are invited to live in these houses and protect the area, be it a home, business or in this case shown in the photo, to protect the upscale shopping center - "Emporium".



The practice of building and maintaining a Spirit House extends over most of South East Asia. It is an expression of the influence of Animism. I can assure you these Spirit Houses are kept in immaculate condition. That only adds to their beauty.

It is common practice to see people on their way to work pausing to perform these rituals. Or if there is an image in the Spirit House to see people pause and Wai - Thai greeting (bring both hands together and raise before your face and bow).


I find great comfort is observing all of this religious activity. It reminds me to pause myself and be grateful for everything I have and my opportunity to be once again in Bangkok. I've said it so many times before. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I would travel 1/2 way around the world and get paid for it too!



I am going to make it a point to take photo of as many Spirit Houses as I can. Then make a CD with the photos and traditional Thai music to play when I am back home in KC. A perfect reminder of this very important aspect of Thai culture.




I must add in closing that Thailand is respectful to all religions. His Majesty the King has, as one of his titles, decreed by Thailand's Constitution, "Protector of all religions". I have never felt more safe and secure with my own religion than in this country.

6 comments:

  1. I REALLY ENJOYED READING UR BLOG.IT WAS VERY INTERESTING...PLZ BE CAREFUL OVER THERE...WE CANT WAIT TILL U GET HOME!!! I WANT U TO SEE HOW BIG BRYCEN IS GETTING HE WILL BE 4 MONTHS ON THE 9TH...PLZ KEEP US POSTED ON HOW UR DOING..LOVE YOU....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff - so great to read your comment. I didn't realize I had comments on Monitor. I've turned that off. I'm doing fine, a bit homesick, but doing fine. Love back. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Love the Blog!! Yes I agree please be safe!! a quick note on your niece, she has one of the highest scores in the state of Missouri on the Language Arts portion of the MAP test!! yeah!! I'm not a proud mom at all! HA Can't wait to see you again!!
    love ya
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lil' Sis - what a nice surprise to see your comment. I share the pride in Katie too! Love back Phil

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All soda-pop sold here as individual, cans or bottles like from 7-11, even water in a glass at a resturant, comes with a straw. If you buy 6 individual cans of diet-coke from 7-11, you receive 6 straws.

    People purchase soda and other food items to place at the Spirit House as offerings.

    What spirit would want to drink straight out of a bottle?

    ReplyDelete