Sunday, February 1, 2009

"We have Chang.... "

Anyone remember the movie "Twister" and the scene where Helen Hunt yells "We have Cows....." Well that's about how startled I felt. I'm from Missouri - I know how a tornado can move farm animals about, but this was a different feeling.



I turned the corner of my Soi (Sukhumvit Soi Yiisip Sii - 24) and was faced with this gentle beast standing in front of the stairway to my local BTS Station. Had I been drinking I would have asked to see the bottle and could have sold it for double what I paid. Triple if the Chang was Pink.



I've heard that native Chang (Thai word for "Elephant") have been brought into the city, but I had never seen one here during any of my previous visits. This one was giving rides in front of the Emporium - I need to publish an entire entry about Emporium, but meanwhile, seeing this Chang today was the highlight of my day. Yet.....



I have been told that when Chang are brought into the city their lives are cut short. I can well imagine. I don't think they were meant to walk on concrete and asphalt. Being aware of that, I felt sad for this magnificent creature standing here, in the poluted city, hired to give rides to tourists and, blocking my hurried way to the skytrain.


The latter, selfish concern, gave me pause as I made my way up the stairs to the BTW fly-over. Neither the Chang nor I wanted necessarily at this moment to be near the Skytrain. But we were - each for our own reasons.


I hope to see this particular Chang again. Maybe buy the bananas that are sold by its caretaker and feed him/her. In some way it will be my way to connect to this creature who, like me, feels well taken care of, but sometimes feel like a stranger in a strange place.



Before I close this post, let me share CHANG is the brand name of the most popular Beer in Thaliand. I hear it is 6%. I've never had a taste, but if I do, I'll include it in a later post.



Amazing Thailand.

2 comments:

  1. I FORGOT TO TELL U....I LOVE THE PICS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - I tried to send an email and I don't think it went through. I want to see a Chang up close and in person and right by the skytrain! ha! Also, FYI - whether doing laundry by Iron Maiden or my Maytags... still never fun!

    Let me know if you want me to bring you something from KC/home- seriously.

    Take care and see you soon!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete