Friday, May 29, 2009

แม่บ้าน


แม่บ้าน in Thai reads MaeBaan. It means Housekeeper in English. It also means Housewife, but lets not get into that one.

I saw her nearly every day when I was here earlier this year. This time since I am in a new apartment I was not sure if she was still the one to care for my room. I saw a young man cleaning my apartment one day and figured my former แม่บ้าน was not working the 8th floor. Then today I saw her coming out of the next apartment. "Khun Phil Sawatdi Ka" she said loudly, remembering my name. "Khun is a formal greeting for either gender, like Mr, Mrs". She had previously seen all my Thai School Books on my desk, the last time I was here, so she tried to help me by not speaking English. Which I think actually was easier for her than for me. I understand she is from the northern part of Thailand and came to Bangkok for work a few years ago. We exchanged greetings in Thai then I said "Ror Krap" (wait please). I went and grabbed my camera and she graciously obliged me taking her photo. She is barely taller than the cart. But one strong personality. During my problem with Water Boarding (1st apartment) she coordinated the technicians like a drill sergeant. Like Thai Chilies, the smaller they are the feistier.

The other housekeepers heard the talking and the camera click and they rushed out of the rooms they were in. They stood there looking at me. I pointed to my แม่บ้าน and said in my best Thai 'Khun Suay Maak' - "she is very pretty." It got a good laugh. I hope to see her again. She is nothing but a joy - always cordial and very good at what she does. Besides she sneaks me in free fresh water when she notices I'm running low.

I just now dawned on me I never have asked her for her name. Need to do that and come back and update this post.
Update: Her name is Aei

No comments:

Post a Comment