Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy New Year and Yes Virginia there are Jews in Bangkok!

Happy New Year! Tonight, Sunday January 25, 2009 marks the Chinese Lunar New Year - the year of the Ox. So what do I do today? I head out to find the Jewish Community in Bangkok. Yes, that's right there is a Jewish community here - small, but it exists as you will see.









I checked Google Maps, drew out my path on a piece of paper and headed out on foot. It seemed a short distance and in fact had I known exactly where it was located I could have made it in 20 minutes. But walking in Bangkok is a challenge.


As you can see from the picture on the left, the sidewalks "give out" as it where for street vendors and anything else the city officials decide to put in the way. Some sidewalks are high (by American standards) and so you are always stepping up and down and at times, walking in the street which can be dangerous.



Right after snapping the picture on the left (above) I heard someone say 'Again.' This kind street vendor wanted to pose for my camera. Did I mention people in Bangkok are very friendly? Amazing Thailand - the Land of Smiles








Making my way with hand-drawn map in hand I kept going south from my apartment. Then suddenly I realized streets in Bangkok don't always follow a Grid Pattern as they do back home. I was not lost, but I could not find the Synagogue. I stopped in a 7-11 Store (they are everywhere) and politely asked the clerks (there are usually 5 or 6 in even the smallest of stores) if someone spoke English. One young man volunteered. I showed him the map, and with the best Thai I could muster named off the streets. No luck. I then said "Mii Paak Gaa mai?" (Do you have a pen?). Receiving the pen I drew a Star of David. A long pause then a smile came on his face and he pointed me to the west. Away I went. And went.


No Star of David on any buildings. Again I stopped at food stalls, shops showing anyone who would give me time, the Star of David. Finally I came upon a Aussie and he told me "Sure, it is just up the street, take the first left and it will be on your left about 100 meters." I still can't do feet-meters in my head very well, but 100 didn't sound too far. I was making progress. First left, then on the left. But I saw nothing that looked like a synagogue. And no Star of David anywhere.


I was now in "Soi Hell" (as I call it). Roads (Soi) that go nowhere, dead end for no reason, and run along angles that would give Pythagoras a headache. I was not lost however. I'm from the Midwest USA. I can navigate by the sun. And the sun always shines in Bangkok, except for today - it was cloudy. Luck was not on my side. Suddenly I see a very tall man - western looking. Was that a Kippa (Yarmulke) on his head or just a shadow from the trees? It was a Kippa! I stopped him and we both jumped, being equally surprised. I said "Sorry did I scare you?" "No" he replied, "I thought I scared you!". I could tell immediately by his accent he was Israeli. It was a good feeling to hear his voice. I told him my destination and away we went.

There would have been no way I could have found nor have entered the grounds of the Synagogue without the help of this man. It was tucked away behind a tall wall and guarded. All hotels have guards here. I think of them as "traffic control" more than anything else. But for the Synagogue? Thinking of what recently happened in Mubai India? I have a different understanding for the privacy. Nevertheless - we move on......

The kind man's name was Alex, I will forever be grateful that we 'scared each other'. Call it providence? Don't know - but a blessing for sure.

The Shul was beautiful.
A multi-story building - as are most Thai buildings. A spacious area for Oneg Shabbat, study, offices and Sanctuary. The style was Sephardi - which makes sense.
It was the Portuguese who first came to Thailand. In fact, the Portuguese also brought Guava (the fruit) to Thailand. The Thais call the fruit Farang. It has become the term used by Thais to label all westerners - the "Farang". It is not a bad word, but it does cause me to feel different. I can say much about this, but maybe later.


Rabbi Kantor was holding a meeting but he still he offered me a rest, refreshments and a good talk. This was only my 2nd time in my life to be in a Chabad House. The first time was in Philadelphia. Both times I felt very welcomed, but it is a lot different than my Reform Jewish Community in KC: Kol Ami. Just as friendly, but different. I come away with the feeling I need to brush up as it where on my Hebrew and on my observance.

For those who are interested, the Hebrew you see written on the Cabinet behind the to men sitting on the left - those are the 10 Commandments written in Hebrew. According to Torah, all Israel heard these 10. They are referred to as "utterances" - "statements". But after these 10 were heard, the people became afraid and asked Moses to go listen to the rest. So Moses went up the mountain. He brought back 603 more Mitzvot (Commandments) that G-d wanted to share with Israel.

Rabbi Kantor asked me if I had laid Tefillin. Fortunately I could answer Yes. Strange as it may sound, I lay Tefillin when I travel - almost every day. It keeps me connected to home, in a way, and to G-d while I'm away from home. And right now, I am about as far away from home as I can get on this planet. It is always enjoyable to come to Thailand, but the sense of loneliness is always just under the surface.

PS: Rabbi if you read this - Mozel Tov on the occasion of your son's Bris.


1 comment:

  1. Hello from Alex
    I was nice to meet you
    You can visit my site
    http://www.pic4u.co.il/albums/alexbenyapa
    All the best
    Alex

    ReplyDelete