Sunday, January 25, 2009

Did I tell you about my phone?

This is truly amazing. A few days ago my ability to dial long distance stopped working (think you know that by now). Initial reply from the Hotel "AT&T is out in Bangkok". So I thought "ok, AT&T - they will work quickly to resolve the problem - remember, revenue, bad economy etc.?" Next day, "Problem with Oakwood" (where I'm staying). Next day I asked "phone fixed?" "No". "Problem with Oakwood?" "Yes". "What do other residence say about this problem?" "You are only one".



Being special I don't need.



I reported Friday night that the latest "resolution" was for two "Engineers" to come to my room. What I didn't report was that they came twice. Still no resolution.


Around 9AM Saturday morning I received a call from the front desk. 'Mr. Pisleusotstotuawta" <--- they butcher my name... "may we come to your room and show you how to use your phone?" I didn't know what to say but "ok". I'm thinking "I've been using a telephone longer than this man has been alive and he wants to show me how to use the phone?" Is there something I've forgotted?

Do I have Alzheimer's and don't know it? That's a question that will keep my busy for a while.

But I quickly re-read the instructions on the card next to the phone thinking I may have overlooked something. The instructions are quite simple: Dial 9+1 and the number. All I receive is a busy signal.



In short order the Desk Clerk along with an "Engineer" one that had been here before were both at my door. "Sawatdii Krap" (Hello in Thai for males). Taking off their shoes, they both went immediately to my phone as Paramedics to an accident victim. With my "best attentive student face" I watched and listened as they gave me dialing instructions. Before they started actually dialing I said "Let me turn on the speaker". It took everything I had within me not to laugh, when all we heard was the "busy signal".

There is a thing here in Asia about "Saving Face". So I was polite when the desk clerk told me "Your phone has problem."

In my Thai classes I have learned the word for "problem" it is "Panhaa". For me problem can also be said as "Thohrasap" (telephone).

If any of my Thai friends are reading this - please understand I am trying to present a story with a bit of humor. When you come to KC, there are many times technology does not work for you. In particular Internet Connection at "City Place" on Westport Road.


If I had to give up one or the other, I would give up the phone. I must have Internet ! And Internet connection here at Oakwood is GOOD !

No comments:

Post a Comment