Friday, January 30, 2009

Phuuying Gai

"Chicken Lady" - Phuuying Gai

For my first two weeks in BKK, I've been eating only 1 meal a day - like a Monk (but not necessarily before 11AM, as they require). And its becoming difficult. So I get a bite from the "Chicken Lady" on my way to work. This morning I didn't see her cart, so I went across the street to another Gai (Chicken) food stall. The line was long and so was the wait.














But after making my purchase and heading home I looked and my "Phuuying Gai" was there. So I went back to her other side of the street. She had no "big pieces" which I usually purchase while on my way to work. And for only 40 THB (57 cents). I purchased what chicken parts she had available. These parts were also on a stick.



I had always thought what I was purchasing from "Phuuying Gai" was chicken breast. but after seeing what I saw this day, I realize must kill the chicken, pluck, separate the innards, then beat all the white meat parts together. I've seek dark meat (Legs for example) sold separately. I'll have to investigate how this is done.



So now I had my breakfast in two warm plastic bags. I took both servings to my apartment and enjoyed. But there was a potential problem. The chicken from "Phuuying Gai" had the consistency of mash potatoes. I may be going to Boots (Pharmacy Chain) later this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment