Saturday, January 24, 2009

JJ Market

No trip to Bangkok would be complete without at least one trip to Chatuchak (JJ) Market.

Located north of the city, this "Weekend" (only) Market is a city in itself. Everything you can imagine (except electronics) can be found here at a very low price.



The weather has been the "coldest" in decades, so I decided to make my first of what I expect will be a number of visits to this metropolis for shoppers. This time I just wanted to explore. Usually it is so hot I only go to what I want to buy and then leave, drenched and almost ill. This time I toured a bit.



There is of course food - everywhere in Bangkok, there are food stalls. Eating cooked food from the street vendors is usually safe - and it is always so delicious.






And this stall was serving sweet drinks. I am not sure what the "green things are"









but the "black things" I believe are Grass Jelly. A Tofu like gelatin.







And there is the more traditional "Roasted Chestnuts"


Did I mention JJ also sells pets? Seeing these little dogs made me homesick for Lucy and Sophie.






I had a "Puppy Fix" moment then set out to find my favorite shop.





JJ Market is so large there are maps for sale as there are maps for the city. I left my map at the office in Kansas City. So I was going on instinct, past the many shops selling everything a tourist or resident could possibly want.









And what do you know - I found it. "Pita Kitchen Ware". This is the place I purchased my "Klok" - the 20 lb Mortar and Pestle that I carried on the airplane back to KC, a couple of years ago. And the Thai butcher knife and carving knives - all are here at Pita Kitchen Ware.


After a couple of hours walking around, I decided to take the bus (MRT) back to town. It is 1/2 the price of the Skytrain. A bit longer, but a lot cooler.

BTW: Phone is still not working. The "Engineers" where in my room for 30 min, then decided "phone not work". I think by the time I leave here, everyone in Bangkok will eventually come to my room and discover "phone not work".














No comments:

Post a Comment