Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More about Thai Language

Today I was quite impressed with myself. I heard numbers being said and I understood most of them. I asked my Thai friends to say numbers in Thai and I attempted to translate into English. I got most of them right. My Thai friends are very patient with me and they don't laugh (too much) when I mispronounce a word.

My Thai friends begin studying English when they are in what would be Grade-School for USA. I can only imagine it is like going to school to study Spanish or French in the USA. In America, outside of class, there is no need to speak Spanish or French - unless of course one lives in California, Arizona, Texas, or in Michigan where there is association with the French speaking Canadians. Thais however continue to learn English and desire to speak it. I'm very impressed. And not just Thais who are in professional positions. The most reclusive Thai will generally try to accommodate English. I am impressed and very appreciative.

For that alone, have an obligation to study the Thai language.

I'm grateful to my Thai friends who help me. I am always impressed with their English and their ability to switch between Thai and English not only in speech, but in typing.




My Thai Language Instructor, Khun Noi. A patient soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment