Monday, February 23, 2009

A Tale of Three Khaens

By now you know I really enjoy musical instruments, even if I can't play them. I consider the instruments to be holistic touchstones for the culture(s) that hold them dear.

I bought a Khaen for a friend of mine back in the US, and one for myself. The Thai friends here heard that I was looking for a Khaen, so guess what? I now have a 3rd Khaen. And this one for sure was made in Chang Mai or close to it. That is important.

Fortunately I am bringing back 2 Thai associates with me in March. These instruments are too long to fit inside any suitcase and too fragile to box up and send as 'checked baggage'. My Thai friends have agreed to help me carry them home. One apiece. I could leave one behind, as I am scheduled to return to Thailand in May, But being one who expects change, I think I'll bring them all back should plans change while I'm home. If I need to, I'll schlep one back to Thailand in May so I can keep up my practicing. After all this I need to learn to play this instrument.

There is only 1 book published in English that explains how to play the Khaen. Normally teaching how to play the Khaen is passed down from one generation to another, in small remote villages of N.E. Thailand and Laos.

Fortunately for me playing the Khaen does not require circular breathing, and notes sound the same when exhaling or inhaling. It is the fingering that is the problem for me. It follows no logical pattern. The thumb and little finger have one note apiece. But the middle three fingers of each hand are responsible for two notes each (12 notes in total) and as I said fingering the scale is nothing like I've ever seen - even the Bagpipes follow a normal progression from one hole to the other - moving up/down the scale.

For any new readers of my blog, who may not know what a Khaen is, scroll back in time, a few days and there you will find a post - with pic- of a Khaen.

No comments:

Post a Comment