Thursday, May 14, 2009

Japan and Swine Flu

Somewhere over Alaska we were told that the Japanese Health Ministry requests all inbound flights from Pandemic Infected Countries (i.e. USA, Mexico etc.) be screened before anyone is allowed to depart the aircraft.


We were all given the form to fill out. We were told everyone had to fill out the form completely and correctly before any of us could deplane. I was walking around the plane thu economy section, for exercise when I heard the flight attendant tell someone "no I do not have a pen, that is not my responsibility". I thought to myself, 'so...I'm going to have to wait on this plane because this guy doesn't have a pen and United Airlines is too cheap to have pens onboard?" Then others said to the attendant, "we don't have pens either". She paid no attention. I reached in my pocket and gave the man my pen. It was one of my favorites. An American Century Investment pen given to me by my wife. I gave the man the pen saying, "keep it... its my investment for a quick exit". Would you believe about 2 hrs later the flight attendant came up stairs, found me and returned my pen. She said "they all say thank you for the pen." I thought should I touch this pen now? Who knows what I might catch? Funny how the mind works. I then felt Karma would be on my side and I would get off the plane quickly after landing. Not quite, but you'll see I passed the test.


We landed and everyone sat still. The Health Minster representative came on over the loud speaker and explained the process. We were told to close the window shaded and not to take any pictures. I obviously paid no attention to that last bit of info and captures these photos with my cell phone.

I was sitting upstairs just behind the cockpit. A troupe of Medics dressed in their surgical gowns, masks goggles gloves and shoe covers marched up the aisle in format "hut, hut, hut....." and stood behind the closed cockpit door. The door opened, and they inspected the crew. Then it was our turn. A man with what looked like an old Polaroid Camera pointed the device at each of our foreheads, working his way back and forth down the aisle. "This will be quick" we all thought.


Then came the man to check the form. The form had two sides written in rather poor English. It was difficult to determine if every question needed to be answered or if only some questions needed to be answered if you were going to stay in Japan. So everyone who was just passing through failed to put their next destination on the form. The man read each form and then for most had to write on the form our next destination.




Of course, he didn't have a clipboard, so he would have to walk back up to the front of the plane, place the form on the wall and write down every one's next destination. I caught on and wrote my next destination myself.




I received the coveted "all clear" yellow form that said I was 'not infected'.





60 minutes later we were allowed to leave the plane. I later found out that two people were ill, but not for reasons of Swine Flu. I also learned that if anyone did have symptoms, that person and that section of the plane would be placed in 10 day quarantine.

Needless to say I was glad to pass. But as I was walking down the stairs to the main level to exit the plane, I sneezed. Some people looked at me. I panicked fearing someone would yell out "who did that?" I lowered my head and quickly walked out of the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment